Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Getting back on track!

I have had my precious daughter, Paige, and two of her 3 boys here this week so changed where I walked so that I would not be gone so much. I can walk 2 hours in my neighborhood here in Rome and not double back at all. Plus, I can go up a 700 foot incline along the "power line." I have used this power line to train for hard treks for the past 20 years and it always works. My problem is that it only takes me 30 minutes to go up AND down and the first 2 days of this trip I will be walking 8 hours UP before I start down. This is not enough but it is the best I can do.

I am on my 7th books of personal accounts of the Camino and this one is the most real one I have read but I hope my trek will be better than his. This fellow, a German, was also alone but he stayed in the hostels instead of the hotels until he decided that never would he stay in the hostels.Too many people snoring! Too few showers and toilets. But heck, the hostels are practically free, all you do is pay for the food. He seemed to get lonely a lot. This kind of scares me. I am such a people person and a friend warmed me about being too friendly on the trail and after reading this book I have decided that I need to tone my personality down and be a little more aloof. I do not want to be misunderstood. I am also going to buy some mace to take with me. I have 35 more days to really get in shape and indend to do it! Maybe next week I can do a REALLY long walk of about 15 miles which is less than my average day I will have for 36 days.

2 comments:

  1. What is the average you hope to achieve, Marie?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just now seeing this Andra! I will average 18 miles a day. Some of the days are 20-21 and some are 16. One is 12. I plan to walk for 7-8 hours a day.

    ReplyDelete