Sunday, August 8, 2010

Training in the heat of Florida

I have just finished a great week with Paige and the boys at the beach of SeaGrove, Florida. It was our 12th time to spend the hottest week of the year at the beach and this year it was no only hot but the humidity must hae been 85% every day. Paige and I would get up and walk from about 8:00 until 10:00 the last 4 mornings. The first morning we didn't start until 9:30 and I thought I would pass out before we got back. We measured it and it was about 6 miles. I also found out that we needed a bottle of water for every 2 miles, sometimes even more water. A sweet waiter at a restaurant gave us glasses of ice water and then gave us a "to go" glass! He was an angel in a white shirt! Would not let me pay him.

I have been checking on the temperatures of Spain and the highest I should confront would be about 80 and that would be perfect. After the 100s, 102s & etc of Rome and Seagrove this summer the 80s sounds like the South Pole.

I have read that about 90% of the people who do this Camino do very litte, if any, training so I am hoping that what I have done, in spite of taking the 2 months off with my knee, will hold me in good stead. It is 17 days away and I am counting the days. I know that if I can do the first 2 days, with its high milage, I will be fine the rest of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment