Saturday, September 11, 2010

Almost half way!

In a day or two I will be half-way though this wonder pilgrimage. And it is a wonderful pilgrimage, in spite of the sore feet and today I have a sore knee but I think it was because of going up and down a big mountain early this morning. I left the hotel at 6:30 am with my flashlight but no friend. Was not entirely sure of the way but did find the magical yellow arrow which is the Camino sign. Wanted to get up and over the mountain and the hours of the flat hot plains before the sun came out. Kept to the trail by looking for the other lights ahead of me. And there were 4 at most. Normal people were still asleep! The stars were beautiful as was the sunrise. Did 15.3 miles in 6 hours which was pretty good. When I got to my town it took me 45 minutes to find my hotel. It is odd but I was feeling good until then and by the time I found it my legs were about to give way! Happens every single day!

This hotel is great and my bathroom has a deep, deep tub. When I get to the room I throw my clothes in the tub and we all bathe together! Then I get my pack ready for tomorrow, lunch and breakfast now that I am leaving so early, then wrap my wet hair in a towel and take a short nap. Found a place which served meals early, 5:00, so ate and now will do another bathtub soak and go to bed! Plan to leave even earlier tomorrow, maybe at 6:00. It is perfectly safe so do not worry!

Turned on the television to a PGA game today and was thrilled to hear English! Have heard ONLY German, Spanish, French, and assorted others for 2 w eeks but only about an hour´s worth of English from a lady from California. Have not seen her since that day. She had a pulled muscle and had been put to bed on day 2 and this was day 6 and her first day out.

Walked totally alone today and that was fine! Followed the yellow arrows for 15 miles and plan to follow them all the way to Santiago.

3 comments:

  1. So good to hear from you today. I get giddy inside hearing you blog about your pilgrimage. I can't believe that you are right at half way. To me the time has gone by fast...but I am not the one walking 500 miles. So has this first half gone by fast for you or maybe slow. Steve is doing a great job at updating us every day on facebook. I know it has been so neat to have gotten to meet all of the people thus far on your journey. You will have a million stories to tell when you get back. You are taking some pictures along the way right? Well know that you are in my daily thoughts and prayers. Keep safe & stay healthy. God speed. Love you. Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marie,
    It is indeed good to hear from you. I'm glad your legs are holding you well. If they don't give out until the end of the day then they are doing their job! I found a neat slideshow that a couple posted via picaso. I don't know if you had seen it before you left but I suspect you did. well their pictures give me a good idea of what your walk/hike is like. It seems that both beauty and history is bountiful there. I envy you all the sights you have seen. Still reading and praying! congratulations on the halfway mark! Quite an accomplishment!
    Love and blessings, Connie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marie. It is amazing to feel like we're with you every step of the way. You are doing so well at conveying what this pilgrimage is like for you, and I am loving every step of it in spirit. The image of you bathing with your clothes made me laugh out loud, and your dogged energy is inspiring to all of us. Thank you for taking the time to update us as you go. When you're done, you'll be so glad you wrote these words for us, because you'll have them to remember yourself. xo Andra

    ReplyDelete