Thursday, September 16, 2010

Good day today!

I don´t have any major stories to report as today was flat and easy. After walking in the hot sun so many days the drizzle was so welcome. Have learned that if I only have coffee and juice at the hotel I can wait until I get to a bar for breakfast around 9:00 or 10;00. Told Steve this morning that my eating patterns have changed - would have never considered waiting until 10:00 for breakfast but they serve lunch from 2:00 until 5:00 and dinner from 8:30 until midnight. I always carry stuff in my backpack even if it is a part of a leftover omelet sandwich from the day before. Sounds awful doesn´t it but it is not! Finally threw an omelet/ham sandwich out after 2 days of eating on it. Was huge!

Can´t believe that I am getting in to the villages in time to have a nap. For the first 2 weeks I was never in before 5:00. Seven until five is hard. These days the paths are not as hilly BUT they are coming up in a couple of days after Leon! I have some very, very long and hard days coming so am enjoying these days of 13-15 miles.

What is so strange about this is that people do all sorts of distances on this Camino and you may walk for hours with someone and you will stop and they will go on and that is the last you will ever, ever see of them. Felt so sorry for some pilgrims who got in today around 5:00 because the hostels are all full and my hotel is full too. They will have to sleep on the ground or go on to Leon and that will take a lot of the night. I am so thankful to have my hotels prebooked. I did it this way so I would not have to rush, with my bad knee, to get a bed in a hostel PLUS I did not relish the though of sleepign with 25 snorers in a room! One of the towns I stayed in had to close their two hostels because of bedbugs and the pilgrims slept in a sports hall on the floor!

Have Saturday off in Leon and am so excited about it. Last free time until Santiago!

3 comments:

  1. Marie, I can't wait to see your photos of this journey. I told Michael last night that I want to do this someday. You are so inspiring!!
    xo Andra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marie,
    Does the time pass fast or do the hours drag by? Just curious because I have been on some trips where the days seem so long and the time passes so slow. and then some of the opposite. I pray your days are blessed, coming and going! Are you exchanging addresses or emails with your fellow pilgrims?
    It seems a bit sad to meet someone you like, they move on and you never see them again. I pray continued success for your camino!
    love and blessings,Connie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for a great post about the Camino.

    I would like to invite you to participate in our Camino blog competition (you could win an iPad!). Have a look here for more details:
    http://camino.xacobeo.es/en/comunidad-peregrinos/xacoblogs-contest

    Saludos,
    Ivar

    ReplyDelete