Saturday, September 18, 2010

Rest Day in Leon and Pilgrims´ Mass

This morning I slept until nealy 9:00 as I am not walking today. Will begin again tomorrow but put on my boots anyway out of habit but quickly took them off! Must have needed that sleep as I have been getting up early every day for more than 3 weeks. It did seem strange to see the pilrims, outside of my hotel, following the yellow arrow!

Leon is an elegant city and the residents are beautifully dressed. Only we pilgrims look like bums and you can recognize us, even in normal clothes, by our sandels and bandages on our toes as well as our limps! Had breakfast this morning with a woman from Norway who has been infirm for 10 days with a pulled Achilles tendon. Is doing acupuncture and that is helping. She was into her 3rd week of the Camino so this can happen even when you think you are well on your way to Santiago. I read somewhere that you have to be humble on this Way or this Way will humble you and I so agree.

I went to the most beautiful church service last night. It was a Mass which I did not understand but did understand the feeling. I stood when everyone else stood and sat when they sat but I did not go down for communion. It was all in Spanish but I understand from my Catholic friends that all masses are alike and you can know what is going on even if you do know know the language. At the end the priest called all the pilgrims up to the front and asked what language we spoke, gave us a card with this prayer on it in our own language and then he did the following blessing in Spanish to us and it was followed by a beautiful solo. Every single person was in tears at the end. Here is what he prayed and what is on my card in English:

BLESSING AND PRAYER FOR THE PILGRIM

Dear Lord Jesus, who brought your servant Abraham out of the city of Caldeas, protecting him through all of his travels/wandering, and who was the Hebrew nation´s guide through the desert, we ask you to bless these children of yours who, for the love they bear your name, are on a pilgrimage to Compostela.

Be for them their companion on the Way, their guide at the cross-roads, their shelter on the road, their shade in the heat, their light in the darkness, their comfort in weariness and their resolve in intentions. So that through your guidance they arrive sound at the end of their road, and enriched with grace and virtue, return home healthy and full of worthy virtues.

In the name of Jesus Christ our Lord.

March in the name of Christ who is The Way and pray for us in Compostela.


WHAT MORE CAN I SAY?

BUEN CAMINO,
MARIE

5 comments:

  1. You are experiencing so much and I know you are being blessed each and every day. That was a beautiful special prayer for you & your fellow pilgrims. I think that is so special that they do recognize the pilgrims in a very special way. I still have you in my daily thoughts and prayers. I am so proud of you and for you Marie. You life is one of much color. You might need to consider writing your bio when you return from Spain. Your kids & grandkids would love to read it...I am sure!! You would have one like no other to write about. You enjoy today..your resting day...then God speed on the remainder of your journey. Love you. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marie, your journey is moving. I cannot imagine what you must've felt like, standing in that mass of humanity, all intent on the same purpose. God has been with you thus far, and I know He will take you the rest of the way in peace. xo Andra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marie,
    I just have to say Amen to that prayer. It covers it all. Enjoy your much deserved off day.
    Godspeed as you continue your journey.
    Love and blessings,
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marie, I continue to think of you and pray for you daily. I love the prayer that you have just posted. God bless you as you continue your journey. I have intended to post before but did not really have the "blog knowhow" to do so. Just know that you are in my heart every day. Love, Babo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marie, Buen Camino! We have published a post about your blog with a link on Camino Buddies. We look forward to your future posts!

    ReplyDelete